"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

Mystic Seaport Museum: Student Writing

>> Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mystic Seaport Museum of America and the Sea



Theo



Like birds our lives take on a migratory path of sorts. We make decision, for reasons that often time we are aware, that direct us to our ports. Years ago when my sister and I were little girls on our way to our grandmother’s house in NY, my mom made the choice to veer off course and took us to Mystic Seaport. I don’t remember this day, but when I arrived here a decade later I could undoubtedly sense I had met the land before. When we went into the endless stretch of barn once used tor twisting fibrous strong into rope, I recognized the sweet smell of ancient wood and sappy wax, and I felt as though I was looking at this sight through child like eyes.


Ben VA



I had a lot of fun in Mystic, CT. It reminded me of home and it was comforting to be there. I had a lot of fun with the sea shanties at the museum. I got a book of them and a bunch of CDs that I can’t wait to listen to when I get home. I’m hoping to sing a few of the songs in the chantey book with my chorus back home, sharing my experience with them.

0 comments:

Total Pageviews

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP