"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

Life is But a Dream

>> Friday, October 12, 2012

Ocean Classroom has been the most difficult thing I have done. Between the late night watches, "soles and bowls" (bathroom and floor cleaning), and sailing through torrential downpours; it has not been on any measure, but I would not change a thing. While on this voyage to southern waters, I have had many moments where I find myself looking out, pondering about life and where I am presently. Theses moments, between sunrise to sunset, is all due to the hard work each member of the ship puts in.

I was told by a friend's father that the term "worth your salt" comes from the men at sea. In many cases, salt was such a high commodity, that men would get paid in salt what he his work was worth. I feel in many cases this correlates to my classmates and myself. We will only get out of the Ocean experience what we put into it; no more and no less. These great moments come with a hefty price; rough hands, sore muscles, and tank-top tans.

We are not even halfway through our voyage and have already gotten so much from this opportunity. Before I even set foot upon the Harvey Gamage, family and friends told me that the memories will last forever. I am just starting to fully understand what they were insinuating. I will never forget the things I do on Ocean Classroom because I may never have similar opportunities again. This experience makes me feel that "life is but a dream" thanks to the great people around me for this experience.

-J.P.

0 comments:

Total Pageviews

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP