"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

>> Friday, March 30, 2012



As we stepped off the bus at the orphanage for stateless children a swarm of smiling, cheering kids descended upon us. Out of a crowd a shy girl stood out to me standing away from the group with wide curious eyes. I went over and kneeled down next to her and asked, “como te llama?” She grabbed my hand, smiled and softly replied “Amallida.” From that point on she had my heart. Her sweet quiet demeanor among the hoards of rowdy kids was absolutely precious. We were given a tour of the village and walked to the river, Amallida by my side, holding my hand the whole way. When we returned to the orphanage the next day Amallida was standing at the gate and when she saw me her eyes lit up as she ran to give ma a hug. I know very little Spanish and she didn’t speak any English, but I got the feeling we understood each other. On the third day when we were leaving I knelt down to give Amallida a hug and said “adios chica”. She kissed my cheek as a tear rolled from her eye and shyly whispered “adios”. I could have burst into tears myself. I will never forget sweet little Amallida.
-Claire

0 comments:

Total Pageviews

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP