"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

>> Monday, September 26, 2011




The time I have spent on Ocean so far is time that I would not trade for anything else. I am having so much fun that I wish that this could last forever. The Harvey Gamage is an awesome boat, the crew and are some of the nicest and funniest people I have ever met. I have not stopped laughing and there is not one dull moment with this group.

Within the first night of being on the ship, I knew that the food was going to be good. Our cook Andy is spectacular in the galley, and super nice. He has made everything, from popcorn shrimp, to hamburgers, to r

oast beef, and so much of it that we all fill up. I have had seconds at every meal so far -- it’s just that good. I am amazed that he is able to cook so much, in the small space he has. Every dinner we have had fresh baked bread that he made from scratch, and I just cannot get enough of it! I am so glad that he is our cook because I thought I would end up losing weight on this trip, but instead, I think I will come off Ocean weighing even more!

Two nights ago was our first night watch, and it was a blast! We had the graveyard watch from twelve in the morning to four in the morning, and it was some of the best fun I have spent that early in a day. We all love to have a good time, and when we are together, it is nothing but laughter. However watch is a serious time, so even during the fun, we have to be serious. While on Bow watch, I have to take note of boats, buoy’s, and other objects that come are around our ship so we don’t run into anything. Bow watch is nice too because that’s the time that I get to be with my thoughts, the rolling sea, and the open air. It is calming and relaxing. My favorite part of watch is the helm, which I have done twice. I still have not quite figured out Gamage because she is tricky to steer, but I love knowing the fact that I am controlling a 130 foot schooner on the Atlantic. It takes my breath away every time. While controlling the helm at night, it was a whole different experience. I had to rely on my bow watchers, charts, and a compass. This sort of navigation is completely new to me, but I am learning, and figuring it out.

This trip is testing my limits, and pushing me to do my best, but every second of it is an unforgettable journey. I am excited to continue sailing, and see what the ocean has in store for us, and continue on the journey of a lifetime.


-Ryan Saunders

0 comments:

Total Pageviews

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP