"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

Student Writing: Reflections on the End of the Program

>> Monday, May 2, 2011

Author: Ben H.



Four months seemed like a long time when I sent in my application, but now, three months into this adventure, I am realizing how short it actually is. The days until we dock in Boothbay Harbor are quickly disappearing.

I've spent every day since February 2nd with my shipmates, who have become my close friends. It's sad to think about not seeing them every time I wake up, or not sharing every meal with them. We've become so close because we work and sweat together. Together we go through both the fun times and the hard times. We count on each other, we need each other, together we make the crew.

The friendships I've made here are very real, they're not surface relationships. I know my shipmates for who they are. We've all seen each other at our very best, dressed up for town, and we've all seen each other at our very worst, sleep deprived looking terrible, vomiting over the rail. Either way, it doesn't matter.

This trip is soon to come to an end, but the friendships and memories will stay with me forever.

0 comments:

Total Pageviews

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP