"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

>> Thursday, October 15, 2009


An Aloft Experience - By Derric Tankersley

It was right after breakfast and I wasn't doing much on deck. I was actually singing my personal remake of a Soulja Boy song, its called "Just Chillen". Then Mr.Fleming, our first mate, came to me and said "Get a harness." Excited for what I thought was going to be a trip out to the bow sprit to untie the jib. I was very wrong. I was actually about to go aloft to untie the course sail; which is very high up and attached to yard. When I realised what I was about to do a rush of nerves instantly came over me, and before I knew it we were going over safety regulations. My heart started pounding in my chest. Then my body began to shake as I approached the shrouds. I climbed right up the shrouds one step at a time following Ms.Anderson, our third mate; behind me was Mina who continued to talk to me so that I remained calm. Once we got to the top it was time to wrap myself on top of the yard supported by a single wire and strapped into another. There I frantically untied the ties of the course. When I finished with the ties I remained up there while Ms.Anderson fixed some lines further down and I was able to take in the beautiful view. I could see everything. It was absolutly amazing. Finally, as fast as I had gotten up it was time to return down to the deck. Safely making it down I gladly took the first seat I saw available so I could relax myself. That was my first aloft expierience, and I loved every minute of it.

0 comments:

Total Pageviews

  © Free Blogger Templates Skyblue by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP